Monday 2 December 2013

Happy Birthday To Me

I got older.

After a day at work the evening of my birthday was very nearly spent on my own in the IKEA restaurant but considering last year's birthday was spent in a psychiatric hospital it would still have been a step up. As it was when my parents found out they couldn't bear the thought of me spending my birthday alone so they took me out for dinner.

The reason I was in IKEA in the first place was that I needed to make that inevitable trip one always needs to make after moving house. That's right, I'm relocated. Everything is going swimmingly at the new place even though I've found out I'm living with vegans. They're friendly vegans and not the judgmental kind. It's remarkable how much better I feel for having gotten out of my old house. All up I'm feeling pretty good right now.

Still, there is that thing that happens with birthdays, that thing where your thoughts wander to the grand scheme of things and make you take stock. I'm a fairly unaccomplished 32 year old. I still haven't completed a degree, I still don't know how to drive, I've only read about 3/4 of the novels by Dickens. I think it's time for some of those things to change. My problem has never been that I've been incapable of these accomplishments, it's just always been a matter of poor timing. I've made sudden changes in my life or gotten sick at all the wrong moments and things that should have happened years ago have passed me by.

But now could be the time to accomplish some things. I'm about 96.5% committed to returning to study next year. I keep having dreams that I'm driving which I feel is surely some precursor to actually learning to drive and I just read the first four pages of Barnaby Rudge. 32, yes this could be the age of getting things done. It would of course help if the heavens smiled upon me and I refrained from getting unwell this year. Could make for very dull blogging but that could be worth it.

Anyway, I should take my birthday body off to bed and see if I can get through a few more pages of Barnaby Rudge. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment